Saturday, July 20, 2013

When Occupation occupies you..

Not long ago, in the school diaries, applications, report cards, we were asked to fill this field, what was called ' Father's occupation'. It is indeed a good thing that the word 'occupation' is not-so-often used these days, for what a remainder it could be of how much occupied we are.. Atleast people like me, who have joined their jobs, one can safely say how much occupied we are , suddenly.

For those familiar with the American style of living ( which, I am sure many of you are lot more aware than I am, given the fact that I am still living in India. So what I know is from the movies, series and my friends,abroad ) people happened to have what they like and do, and a day-job, which pays for the living most of the time. And then there are others, who only do what they love. Coming to the Indian style of living, or rather Indian style of working, well almost all the time, unless you are lucky or prudent and bold enough to make the choice, the occupation occupies you.


Image Credits: cwaunion 

For people like me, who have to travel a lot to the workplace, and then work, for real, it becomes really difficult to keep up with things and people. Weekend is all that you got, for anything and everything. Adding to it, if you are totally lazy like me, you know the number of friends are gonna erode eventually*. 

Lucky are the ones who are bachelors. Well I can only extrapolate the graph of life of people who get married and the responsibilities and the stress that follows. Hence, it is indeed not a surprise that people end up losing their passion or their hobbies eventually become once-a-hobby. And guess who accompanies - Monotony!

Ofcourse there are always exceptions, including some people I know, who have been able to keep up with their interests, hobbies and keep up with their friends, even as full grown adults - A salute to them. 

Well, we have all read/heard the work-life balance debates, essays, when it comes to our own life, the question of survival or the Joie de vivre,  we all know which one to choose, dont we?


* That's another topic I'd love to write about, too. So if you re reading this, await for the post, coming up soon.

4 comments:

  1. One wise man has once said "Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.. If only all of us worked towards that..

      Delete
  2. We (as in Indians) suck at etiquette. I have worked with people who spent more hours on work than I did but at the same time had more fun/vacation/time-off than me. If only we dont mingle to two aspects of life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worser thing is I dont see any change atleast in the near future.. :-|

      Delete